|Endless Eight V|
|Japanese title||Endoresu Eito |
|Air date||July 17, 2009|
Endless Eight IV
Endless Eight VI
- This episode features the 15,521st loop of the summer. The events in this episode are similar to those of the previous one, except for the ordinary change of clothes and speech.
- Unlike previous episodes, there were minor changes such as Kyon and Yuki going into a cemetery where there was a paper that read: SOS団肝試し大会ここに証拠の人形を置くこと！ (SOS Brigade test of courage. Place the doll here as proof!) Kyon places a plushie on the paper.
- At the end of the episode, Kyon draws a number 8 on the To-do list hinting the main theme to the episode arc.
Again Haruhi drags the SOS Brigade around to do various activities, including swimming in the pool, going to an O-bon festival, playing with fireworks, and bug hunting for the 15,521st time. However, Kyon becomes plagued by an increasing sense of déjà vu as the activities continue. Again, Mikuru calls Kyon in a panicked state, asking him to meet her. Kyon meets up with her, Yuki, and Itsuki to find that he has been experiencing an endless loop of events from August 17 to August 31. When time reaches August 31, time resets and everyone's memories are erased (albeit not thoroughly). This is caused by the fact that Haruhi does not want summer to end because she feels she still has things she must do. Yuki reveals that this is the 15,521st time they have looped and that she remembers every single repetition. Haruhi closes up the summer activities, and Kyon suffers a more intense moment of déjà vu than the last, but still can't think of what to do to make Haruhi satisfied therefore letting the loop continue.
- This episode was the 16th episode broadcast for Season 2, but was the sixth new episode
- Right after the pool scene, and right before Haruhi told the gang about the summer activities, in the cafe, an octagonal clock is shown right in the beginning of the scene, and the time it's showing is 5: 05. It means that's Endless Eight 5.
- The round cage that the characters are spun around in by Haruhi could possibly represent the endless rotation of time.
- In this episode, the scene when Haruhi is walking away from the group on August 30th was repeated 3 more times, probably hinting how the Endless Eight episode would repeat 3 more times, bringing the arc to a grand total of 8 episodes.
- This is the only Endless Eight episode which does not show the SOS Brigade's attendance at the batting cages, however, it is mentioned through Kyon's narration.
- In the scene where the characters are exhausted after handing out balloons, Kyon says, "Now I know what it must have felt for Unit 00 after getting hit by that beam." This is a reference to Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6, where Eva Unit 00, piloted by Rei Ayanami, is struck by a heat beam which melts its shield and armor almost completely.
- Paranormal phenomena observed: déjà vu and time-loop